21st Century Cures Act
Important changes to your Health and Counseling Portal
PROTECT YOUR PRIVACY
Starting January 1, 2023, as part of compliance with the 21st Century CURES Act, Campus Health & Wellbeing will allow student patients access to electronic health information via the Health & Counseling Portal.
Patient Portal Services
- Access your health information
- Complete and submit forms
- Schedule and cancel certain appointments
- Receive secure message
- Submit, view and print immunization records
What is included in your health information “My Chart” on your Health and Counseling portal?
- Office or teleheatlh visit notes written by your medical or counseling provider; including medical conditions, symptoms, and any relevant diagnoses.
- Lab results and diagnostic imaging. (Lab results that will not be included are HIV, hepatitis antigens, and malignant pathologies.)
- Immunizations, physical exam forms, and referrals.
If you need additional documentation not provided through the portal, you can complete a request for Release of Information found on the website or front desk.
21st Century Cures Act Information
The CURES Act is a Federal law (passed in 2016 with bi-partisan support) that requires healthcare providers to give clients access to their electronic health information (EHI) without charge and “without delay.” It is intended to reduce barriers to access clinical records when they are housed in electronic health record systems with a patient portal and specifies that clinical notes are among EHI that must not be blocked. This Act was designed to empower patients with easy access to their clinical notes, increase transparency and communication/sharing of information, and motivate “healthcare providers to use technology that prioritizes ease of access.”
Cal Poly Portal Share My Information Option
If parents, supporters, or other people need access to your account to pay a bill, be aware of your financial aid awards, or have access to other information, consider using the Share My Information option in the Cal Poly portal to share limited portal access. From the Cal Poly Portal, click on Money Matters, and then follow the instructions in the Share My Information section