Before Your First Appointment
Building Location: 27 (Health Center), Room 135
- Do not check in at the Health Services computers when you first enter the building. Instead, proceed down the hall to Room 135, which is clearly labeled "Counseling Services." (There are signs in the building to guide you).
- Check in at the front desk.
- Arrive at least 20 minutes early in order to complete the paperwork required before your Initial Consultation. If you arrive late for your Initial Consultation, you will be charged a $20 fee.
no show and late cancellation fee
- You do not attend your appointment (and did not call to cancel at least 24 hours in advance)
- You come late to an Initial Consultation (i.e., anything less than 20 minutes early)
- You come late to an Emotional Wellbeing Workshop (i.e., more than 5 minutes after the group has started)
Self-Care While You Wait
Congratulations on taking an important step towards your wellbeing! Counseling Services continue to do everything we can to make the wait as short as possible. While you wait for your appointment, there are many options you can try to alleviate some of the distress you may be experiencing. Please consider the following options:
- Talk to supportive friends or family members.
- Establish/Maintain regular sleep habits (e.g., consistent bedtime; 7-9 hours of rest each night).
- Eat nutritious food regularly (this helps maintain positive mood).
- Do some kind of physical activity you enjoy (e.g., taking a long walk, playing a sport).
- Avoid use of substances as a way to self-medicate.
- Find healthy activities that are relaxing or soothing for you (e.g., listen to music, meditate, color).
- Make an appointment for the massage chair (first floor of the Health Center; pulse.calpoly.edu).
- Take an anonymous screening to better understand your symptoms.
- Make an appointment for an End of the Quarter Survival Kit Workshop.
- Peer Health Educators at PULSE are available to listen and provide support regarding Mental Wellbeing (REAL), Alcohol & Drug Education (TLC), Nutrition (HEAT) and Sexual Wellbeing (EROS) (first floor of the Health Center; pulse.calpoly.edu).
- Contact the San Luis Obispo Counseling Service at Cal Poly (Building 2, Room 125). You can reach them at 805-756-1532. Leave a message with good times to contact you and they will call you back with appointment options.
- Contact a community provider. See our referral list here or see information about all of the providers in SLO here.