Urgent and Same Day Services
We are committed to supporting student mental health while also responding to the current global pandemic and prioritizing health and safety for students and employees. To this end, Counseling Services is currently offering all services remotely by phone and HIPAA-compliant Zoom.
Many of our services are available within a few days, but if you need to talk to someone more urgently, reach out! Call our crisis line anytime to speak with a counselor, get support, and make a plan for next steps.
(805) 756-2511 (24-7 crisis line)
When should I call the crisis line?
You may be thinking about suicide, or injuring yourself or someone else.
You may be experiencing a panic attack and unsure what to do.
You may be the target of stalking, abuse, or assault.
You are unable to take care of your basic needs – eating, sleeping, bathing.
You may have experienced a traumatic event like a hate crime or a car accident.
You are worried about a friend and don't know how to support them, or they have disclosed information to you that you don't know how to handle.
You are experiencing distress and need to talk to a professional to sort out what your options are.
At Cal Poly Counseling Services:
- Call us at (805) 756-2511 and tell the front desk that you need to speak to a counselor urgently. After hours, follow the prompts to select option 2 to speak with a counselor.
- Come to our office and let the front desk know you need to speak to a counselor urgently. Most of our services are provided remotely via HIPAA-compliant zoom or phone, but we have space on site you can be that is safe and private for this appointment.
Local and National Services – available 24/7:
- Call the local crisis hotline, Central Coast Hotline: (800) 783-0607.
- Text START to 741741 for Crisis Text Line. Available 24/7 in the U.S. (No charge for most plans; may not be accessible on pre-paid phones. Go to www.crisistextline.org for more information.)
- Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: (800) 273-TALK (8255) (Services are available in many languages). Para hablar con alguien en espanol: (877) SUICIDA ((877) 784-2432)
- Call the Trevor Lifeline: (866) 488-7386 (for LGBTQIA young adults)
- Call the Trans Lifeline: (877) 565-8860
- Call the Nurse Response Line: (888) 439-2012
- Call 911 - any Emergency Services or Police Department that responds can help you, including the Cal Poly Police Department. For a general non-emergency where police assistance might still be needed, call University Police Department at (805) 756-2281.
If you or someone you know is an imminent danger to themselves or someone else, go to the nearest ER:
LOCAL HOSPITAL EMERGENCY ROOMS - OPEN 24/7
Dignity Health: French Hospital Medical Center
1911 Johnson Ave
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401
Sierra Vista Regional Medical Center
1010 Murray Ave
San Luis Obispo, CA 93405
NEARBY INPATIENT MENTAL HEALTH FACILITIES
San Luis Obispo County Mental Health Services
2178 Johnson Ave
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401